This has been deployed successfully in a significant number of high profile campaigns, particularly in the transport industry, including:
- multiple projects in the highly competitive rail franchising market;
- a range of demanding transport technology procurement contests;
- the enactment of public, private and hybrid legislation supporting transport or environmental objectives;
- the devolution of transport powers from central to local government;
- inquiries by parliamentary committees or other statutory bodies;
- working for the promoters of or objectors to major planning applications in the maritime, aviation and rail sectors;
- the improvement of industrial relations and the resolution of disputes;
- applications for public funding of projects; and
- stakeholder consultation assignments.
Mark’s role is illustrated by the work of Cogitamus Limited for Bombardier Transportation throughout 2011. Having assisted Bombardier to secure a half billion pound contract for railway signalling equipment, Cogitamus was then required to deal with the aftermath of the UK Government’s decision to award a major train building contract overseas. The subsequent campaign – in which Cogitamus played a pivotal role – led to Bombardier being awarded an alternative £200m order at the end of the year, securing the future of its Derby factory.
In a personal capacity, Mark is a Trustee of the Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust and was Chair of the Board between 2007 and 2014.